Tuesday, December 16, 2014

MFT December Creative Challenge–Warm, Fuzzy Felt

creativechallenge_2014dec16


For many of us, this is the time of year we crave warmth, comfort, and coziness. What better material to feature with this month’s challenge than felt? Our line of MFT felt coordinates with all of the colors in our extensive Replenishments line so crafting projects with a beautiful complement of papers, buttons, inks, and ribbons is a piece of cake. Make no mistake though, felt will be the star of the show in this collection of inspiring projects!

I had so much fun with this challenge! I made a couple of Christmas ornaments and a little something to go under that beautifully decorated tree :)

OK, ornaments: my first one is using LJD Cozy Mittens and LJD Cozy Mittens Die-namics.

creativechallenge_2014dec16mitten1

I cut the mitten from Black Licorice felt and stamped the images with Sweet Tooth pigment ink, inked off twice. I just needed a faint outline to use for embroidering the design. I did NOT heat set this because I didn’t care if it rubbed off.


creativechallenge_2014dec16mitten2

Here is is after I embroidered it. Sorry this photo is a little blurry—I just could NOT get the whole thing to focus well. But you get the picture, I’m sure ;-)


creativechallenge_2014dec16mitten3

For the next step, I cut the flower image from LJD Cozy Mittens Die-namics from Sweet Tooth felt and stamped the image from LJD Cozy Mittens with Red Hot pigment ink. I heat set before before attaching it to the mitten with fabric glue. Tip: don’t want to heat up the iron for this little job? Flat iron to the rescue! Works like a charm!


creativechallenge_2014dec16mitten4

To finish it off, I attached some Black Licorice card stock to the back for stability and sandwiched some red metallic cord in between the layers.
*****

Next up is a Poinsettia Die-namics ornament.

creativechallenge_2014dec16poinsettia

This one was super simple to make: I simply cut the pieces out using Wild Cherry felt, Jellybean Green felt, and Lemon Drop felt and assembled just like I would a paper one. I did add card stock to the back of each piece, again for stability. To finish off I added some gold sequins to the center and adhered a gold metallic cord hanger. I can envision these in all kinds of colors!
*****

Now for a little something to put UNDER that tree—a phone cover. I used my phone for this sample but the steps can be used to fit any smart phone, I’m thinking.

To start, I laid my phone out on a piece of Razzle Berry felt to get the size. For MY phone, I added about 1/4” all around (to extend half way up the thickness of my phone) and cut out two pieces just alike.

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover1


To create a notch on the front, I taped down a half-circle die from Blueprints 7 Die-namics and cut it out.  

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover2


Next I designed my embellishments. I ironed on some heavy weight interfacing to a piece of Black Licorice felt and cut out the phone face from LLD Smart Phone Die-namics, then did the same thing to all of the other small pieces.

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover5


Here it is laid out on a piece of the cover. I’m using Berrylicious felt, Black Licorice felt, Sweet Tooth felt, Wild Cherry felt, and Jellybean Green felt. Since I stamped the little sentiment from LLD Friend Request with Black Licorice hybrid ink (heat set) —I decided to not use the little black felt hash tag in the end.

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover6

Next, I pinned the two cover pieces together and joined them using a blanket stitch and white embroidery floss.

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover3


Here is is completed to that point. You can see my phone fits in there snugly but it’s not tight enough to pull or stretch the felt.

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover4


To adhere the phone to the front of the cover, I used fusible webbing (Trade Name Stitch Witchery) for the Berrylicious felt layer and fabric glued the other pieces to it.

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover7


And here’s a close-up of the finished cover. Fun!!

creativechallenge_2014dec16cover8


And that’s it from me today! Thanks so much for stopping by! See you again soon!


1CAS Supplies2



~Supplies~
Stamps:
LJD Cozy Mittens, LLD Friend Request (MFT)
Ink:
Black Licorice hybrid ink, Red Hot hybrid ink, Sweet Tooth pigment ink (MFT)
Paper:
Black Licorice card stock, Wild Cherry card stock, Jellybean Green card stock (MFT)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
LJD Cozy Mittens Die-namics, Poinsettia Die-namics, LLD Smart Phone Die-namics, Razzle Berry felt, Berrylicious felt, Black Licorice felt, Wild Cherry felt, Jellybean Green felt, Sweet Tooth felt, Lemon Drop felt (MFT); embroidery floss, crewel needle, fabric glue, sequins, red and gold metallic cord, interfacing, fusible webbing

1CAS Signature2

5 comments:

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!