Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Creative Construction With Blueprints—A New MFT Design Team Challenge

CCwirhBP1_2015jan13

We love Blueprints because they take the guesswork out of crafting beautiful cards in quick fashion when we’re short on time or inspiration. We also love them for their versatility and ability to be mixed and matched when we have the time and inspiration to create something truly unique. Our Creative Construction Challenge focuses on these attributes each month, challenging the team to both assemble a card based on one of the provided Blueprints sketches as well as design an original card combining elements from the featured Blueprints.

We thought it appropriate to kick off this series by going back to the beginning and focusing on the first two Blueprints we created for you. Take a walk down memory lane with us!



MFT_CreativeConstruction_Sq
I can’t tell you how much fun this challenge was! We have so many fabulous Blueprints, and a new one comes out every month, so I tend to neglect the earlier releases, but this challenge made me take a closer look at them.

My first card uses one of the sketches provided with Blueprints 1 Die-namics. I started with a Black Licorice card stock base and added a Primitive White card stock layer. Next I stamped up some background paper on more Primitive White card stock using my old stand by, Plaid Builder Background and Lemon Drop dye ink, Tropical Teal dye ink, Black Licorice dye ink, Limelight dye ink, and Persimmon dye ink. I cut that with the scalloped rectangle and adhered it. Next, on Black Licorice card stock, I did the chalk board technique with Chalkboard Greetings, stamped with Sweet Tooth pigment ink and heat embossed with clear detail embossing powder. I layered it with Tropical Teal card stock and popped it up on foam. Next I stamped more Primitive White card stock with Linen Background and Limelight dye ink, cut it out, and adhered it. I cut the button from Persimmon card stock and the two little flags from Primitive White card stock, tied them all up with hemp cord and adhered with hot glue.

On the inside is another sentiment from the set, stamped with Black Licorice dye ink, on Primitive White card stock layered on Tropical Teal card stock.

CCwirhBP1_2015jan13in
*****

For my second card, I used elements from Blueprints 1 Die-namics and Blueprints 2 Die-namics and went all artsy ;-) But boy was it fun!

CCwirhBP2_2015jan13

I started with a Sweet Tooth card stock base. Then, on a piece of water color paper, I did a water color wash using Ripe Raspberry dye ink and a touch of Kraft dye ink. It’s hard to see the Kraft in the photo but IRL it’s there. After that dried, I stenciled more Ripe Raspberry dye ink through a few openings in Staggered Hearts stencil and splattered it with clear water. Once that was dry I splattered some gold spray and allowed that to dry. Next I cut the sentiment strip from Ripe Raspberry card stock and popped it up on foam mounting tape on top of some rolled up gold thread. I cut the oval frame from Blueprints 2 Die-namics from gold mirror paper and stamped it with Damask Background and Black Licorice hybrid ink. I dried it with my heat tool for about 30 seconds and it was set, so I adhered it on top of the sentiment strip.

CCwirhBP2_2015jan13close

Then I cut Love & Adore You Die-namics from Black Licorice card stock and adhered it to the gold frame. Next I stamped the sentiment from Smitten With You on Black Licorice card stock that was cut with a little flag from Blueprints 1 Die-namics. It was stamped with Sweet Tooth pigment ink and heat embossed with clear detail embossing powder. To finish off I added some gold and pink sequins.

On the inside, I stamped a sentiment from Smitten With You with Ripe Raspberry dye ink, then, on the tag from Blueprints 2 Die-namics, cut from Black Licorice card stock, I stamped the rest of the sentiment with Versamark and heat embossed with gold powder.

CCwirhBP2_2015jan13in

And that’s it for the first Creative Construction With Blueprints Challenge! Thanks so much for stopping by—see you again soon!


1CAS Supplies2

CCwirhBP1_2015jan13


CCwirhBP2_2015jan13



~Supplies~
Chalkboard Card: 
Stamps:
Chalkboard Greetings, Plaid Builder Background, Linen Background (MFT)
Ink:
Lemon Drop dye ink, Tropical Teal dye ink, Black Licorice dye ink, Limelight dye ink, Persimmon dye ink, Sweet Tooth pigment ink (MFT)
Paper:
Black Licorice card stock, Primitive White card stock, Tropical Teal card stock, Persimmon card stock (MFT)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Blueprints 1 Die-namics; foam mounting tape, clear detail embossing powder, hemp cord (MFT); heat tool

Gold Frame Card: 
Stamps:
Smitten With You (MFT)
Ink:
Ripe Raspberry dye ink, Sweet Tooth pigment ink, Versamark (MFT)
Paper:
Sweet Tooth card stock, Black Licorice card stock, Ripe Raspberry card stock (MFT); gold mirror paper
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Blueprints 1 Die-namics, Blueprints 2 Die-namics, Love & Adore You Die-namics, Staggered Hearts Stencil, foam mounting tape, clear detail embossing powder, Quickie Glue Pen (MFT); water brush, gold thread, sequins

1CAS Signature2

4 comments:

  1. Bar, these are GORGEOUS! Your first card is STUNNING with that amazing striped pattern, and your second card takes my breath away! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held back on cardstock n ink now I'm sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards!! Loving the artsy one...how fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!