Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dare to Dream–MFTWSC #133

MFTWSC133_2013jul17framed


Hi, everyone, I’m back again with this week’s MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge! Are you ready? Here’s this week’s sketch. You can find the sketch on the MFT blog and also in the MFT forum on SCS, as well as in the weekly newsletter. The Design Team will be on hand to provide plenty of inspiration to get you started.

MFTWSC133

Well, I was inspired to do a mixed media piece for this sketch. I actually started on a card and was going to add some mixed media elements, then thought: “I might as well make this something I can hang up while I’m at it.” And that’s what I did—I couldn’t wait to get it framed and this piece is now hanging in my dining room :)

I started with an 8 x 10 canvas board and painted it with Kraft colored craft paint, then swiped some gesso all over, leaving a good bit of the Kraft showing. Then I stamped some blocks from MPD Distressed Background Blocks for the postage stamp element in the sketch and randomly elsewhere,brushing a little gesso on the “elsewhere” images to fade them some. Next I used MPD Delicate Doily Stencil and spread some molding paste in the circle area. I dried that then put the stencil back in place and applied some Gelato color with a brush. Most of it stayed on the molding paste but a little seeped under the stencil and I love how it looks. The next layer was the text from LJD Art Expression Text, stamped with Kraft ink.

Next I cut a Die-namics Fishtail Flag STAX from Kraft card stock and stamped it with the chevron image from LJD Spring Backgrounds and Versamark. I sponged on some Vintage Photo Distress Ink and then swiped on some gesso and popped it up on foam. I then cut a Die-namics Dizzy Doily from Sweet Tooth card stock and sponged the edges with Distress ink. I cut a Die-namics Pierced Circle STAX layer from bright blue card stock and stamped it with the flowers from LJD Spring Backgrounds and white pigment ink, also swiping it with gesso. I made Die-namics Royal Rose, a Die-namics Mini Royal Roses, and Die-namics Rolled Daisy from Lemon Drop card stock and Sweet Tooth card stock, using enamel dots for the centers. I layered them on a Die-namics Leafy Flourish, cut from Jellybean Green card stock that also got the Distress Ink/gesso treatment. This element was popped up on foam on the fishtail flag element.

The sentiment is from MPD Dandelion Wishes and was stamped with Black Licorice ink on a Die-namics Layered Label die cut, distressed with ink and gesso and popped up on foam. I added a bright blue button, tied with hemp cord, which was also distressed. The final step was to add some little groups of clear gems scattered randomly—I debated on this step but in the end decided to keep them. I’m glad I did.


Here’s a little closer view, without the frame:

MFTWSC133_2013jul17


And an even closer one of the flower element:


SONY DSC


And that’s it! I do adore this project and am planning the next one as I type!






~Supplies~
Stamps:
MPD Distressed Background Blocks, LJD Art Expression Text, LJD Spring Backgrounds, MPD Dandelion Wishes (MFT)
Paper:
Sweet Tooth card stock, Kraft card stock, Lemon Drop card stock, Jellybean Green card stock (MFT); Brilliant Blue (SU!)
Ink:
Black Licorice ink, Hot Fudge ink, Kraft ink (MFT); white pigment ink
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Fishtail Flags STAX, Die-namics Dizzy Doily, Die-namics Pierced Circle STAX, Die-namics Royal Rose, Die-namics Mini Royal Roses, Die-namics Rolled Daisy, Die-namics Leafy Flourish, Die-namics Layered Label, MPD Delicate Doily Stencil, hemp cord (MFT); Gelatos, clear gems, hot glue/gun, foam tape, craft paint, gesso, molding paste


brownwendysignature

17 comments:

  1. This piece is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh this is so beautiful, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see this framed! It's soooo stunningly beautiful. Love the colors and the artsy feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barbara you out did yourself on this... It' just beautiful!!! I can see why you were so excited to get it framed... I bet it looks Lovely where ever it's hanging..!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. speechless.

    This is a treasured work of art/heart, Bar! Truly amazing! Thank you for the detailed steps that you took in making this.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful inspiration. Thanks for sharing all the details

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely stunning! Than you so much for sharing.
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thud! My jaw is on the floor! Absolutely LOVE this piece of art! You've inspired me to play around more with mixed media!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ABSOLUTELY, UTTERLY STUNNING!!! Freakin' AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely keepsake for you or someone you love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fan-tabulous, my dear! You are rocking the MM style!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning!!!! The colors, the flower bouquet, everything! Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely incredible! I'm sitting her in complete awe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous project Barbara! I love the beautiful background that you created and all the pretty blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so GORGEOUS, Bar! MUST GET SOME GELATOS! LOVE the pop of blue with the stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Barbara! You always have the most original ideas! I ADORE this beautiful framed art! You go girl with the mixed media!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!