Tuesday, December 18, 2012

MFT December Creative Challenge–Background Building

creativechallenge1_2012dec18

Hi, everyone! Today I have MFT’s December Creative Challenge to show you!

The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to do some background building using our MFT Stamps and Die-namics.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers who have a project to share with you today.

I did two cards for this challenge to show a couple of different approaches to background building. This first card was done using an image from Finishing Flourishes. I stamped the flourish on Kraft card stock with Versamark ink and embossed with white fine detail embossing powder. I did each flourish separately to make sure none dried out before I could emboss them.


creativechallenge1_2012dec18background

Once I had my background done, I matted it with Black Licorice card stock, then wrapped a Black Licorice Grosgrain ribbon around and added the sentiment.

creativechallenge1_2012dec18sent

The sentiment is from More Essential Sentiments and was stamped on a Die-namics First Place Award Ribbon die cut and tucked up under…

…this gorgeous
Die-namics Plentiful Petals flower that was made from Grapesicle card stock.

creativechallenge1_2012dec18flower

The center of the flower was made with a Black Licorice button and some hemp cord.

Here’s the inside, with another sentiment from
More Essential Sentiments. I added a little cluster of Copic marker colored jewels as an accent.

creativechallenge1_2012dec18in


*****
My second card is quite different. I used the
Distressed Diamonds stamp set to create it, stamping first Memento Tuxedo Black ink and then going back and filling in with Wild Cherry ink.

creativechallenge2_2012dec18

To make the argyle pattern, I used the dotted line stamp from Die-namics Tag You’re It and Stamp Set. I inked up only one line and carefully stamped on top of the colored diamonds--going in both directions—until they were all done. Just think of the color combos you can come up with with this! I can’t wait to try more! Here’s a close up.

creativechallenge2_2012dec18background

To finish the card, I added some corrugated paper to the bottom and stamped the sentiment, from Lovey Dovey Sentiments (this month’s Triple Scoop set), on a Die-namics Designer Labels 3 STAX cut from Kraft card stock with Wild Cherry ink. Then I popped it up on a Die-namics Jumbo Fishtail Banner STAX cut from Steel Gray card stock and in turn, popped up on foam. To finish it off, I tied around some twill in a bow.

creativechallenge2_2012dec18sent


Here’s the inside with another sentiment from the set:

creativechallenge2_2012dec18in


Here are the Die-namics dies I used on these cards:

MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic
MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic
MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic
MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic
MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic

And that wraps it up for today! Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you’ve been inspired to stamp your own backgrounds with MFT stamps!


Pin It





~Supplies~

Just a Note Card:
Stamps:
Finishing Flourishes, More Essential Sentiments (MFT)
Paper:
Kraft card stock, Black Licorice card stock, Whip Cream card stock, Grapesicle card stock, Jellybean Green card stock (MFT)
Ink: Versamark; Memento Tuxedo Black 
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Plentiful Petals, Die-namics Royal Leaves, Die-namics First Place Award Ribbon, Black Licorice button, Black Licorice Grosgrain ribbon, hemp cord (MFT); white fine detail embossing powder, heat tool 

Rock My World Card:

Stamps: Distressed Diamonds, Die-namics Tag You’re It and Stamp Set, Lovey Dovey Sentiments (MFT)
Paper:
Kraft card stock, Steel Gray card stock, Whip Cream card stock (MFT); corrugated paper
Ink:
Wild Cherry Ink (MFT); Memento Tuxedo Black; cream pigment ink
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Jumbo Fishtail Banner STAX, Die-namics Designer Labels 3 STAX (MFT); twill, foam dots


brownwendysignature

11 comments:

  1. What great ideas for BG stamping, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of the card's are stunning the layouts are fabulous. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards Barbara! Love the embossed flourishes! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - both of those cards are beautiful! I am in love with that argyle!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! that second card is amazing. LOVE how you added the dotted accent to make the argyle....soooo creative! the first card is pretty with all those flourishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this creative challenge! This is embarrassing to admit, but I do not remember that Flourish set at all! The card is gorgeous! I do remember the argyle, just not using it in such a sweater-y way, so thanks for the inspiration! I love stretching my stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. both cards are wonderful but I really love the first one with that beautiful background and flower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both so gorgeous! I love the flourishes and that diamond background is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you definitely rocked the backgrounds on both of your cards. Just gorgeous. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! The harlequin background looks like it's 3D!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGosh, THESE ARE FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rocked these designs to the core, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!